arrow-1 SSmaglogo14

Home         About School Sport Magazine        Subscribe        Contact

Mark Harrod banner ad 160x120 BISHOPSPORT-166x120 martin berrill web ad limitless online ad buckingham issue 82 cover

Sophie Thompson is a year 8 pupil at Danes Hill School in Surrey.




Today we have double games at school, which is a hockey lesson. We practise short

corners where my role is to inject the ball. After school, I go to the Weybridge Tennis Academy for a two-hour session. This was only my second week at the Academy, since giving up club swimming to focus more on my tennis and hockey. We start off doing lots of drills in the service box, like half volleying, slice and working on consistency before moving onto half-court games. I get home about 8pm, have my dinner, do my homework and then go to bed.




After school, I have my normal Tuesday evening tennis session at St George’s Hill Tennis Club

in Weybridge. This is where I do most of my tennis training and where I am coached by

Mark Siddall. Tonight, it’s a 90-minute session. We start off with two against one where the

player on their own has to hit every ball cross court and then play the point out. The two

players should always win but this doesn’t always happen. We then move onto serve and

volleying. Recently I have been working quite a bit on my volleys and am pleased I am

able to win quite a few points this way.




A busy day with lots of hockey so get up at 6.45am to be at school for 7.30am for a first team hockey practice. After morning lessons and lunch, it’s back to hockey and an away match against Nonsuch School. This is only our second match of the season playing together as a team and we have a convincing 8-1 win. My preferred position is midfield but at school I play defence most of the time. Straight after the match, I go to club hockey training at Surbiton, where I have played for the last four years. Today we do 3v3 games for the whole 90 minutes as they are still trialling us to put us into our teams. I get home about 8pm for dinner, homework and bed.




Last weekend we had our St George’s Hill Tennis club finals day where I won the U12 singles and doubles. Unfortunately, we ran out of time to play the U14 doubles final so it’s rescheduled for today after school. It’s a very close match where we lose the first set 6-4. But in the second set, we are more consistent and manage to dominate from the start to win 6-3. This means we play a deciding championship tie break where we up our game and manage to win 10-7. I am really pleased with the way I play and glad we bring home the trophy.




An exciting day as our school first hockey team goes to Devon on a school trip. It takes four-and-a-half hours to get there and we have a lot of fun on the bus together. When we arrive, we check into our hotel followed by an hour and a half of school work. We have our first match at 6pm against Isca Hockey Club. I play right defence and centre midfield and we win 4-3. After the match, we have dinner at a local restaurant and get back about 9pm and in bed by 9.30pm as we have a tournament to win tomorrow.




A good breakfast of porridge, banana and sausage before setting off for the tournament at Blundell School against six schools. It’s a round-robin format where we played 14 minutes one way. We win our first match 4-2 which settles everyone’s nerves. From there we go from strength to strength winning our next five matches and bringing the gold medals home.




After a busy week of school and sport, I am able to have a relaxed morning and get my weekend homework done. In the afternoon, I have the second round of U14 Surrey county hockey trials. They can be quite nerve-racking but also a great experience. It’s two hours of seven-a-side games. I play quite well but everyone is very good and I now have to wait and hear whether I have made it through to the final round. Fingers crossed.